• Defining the cinematic non-fiction narrative form, as distinct from the narrative fiction film form and the broadcast non-fiction form.
• The role and purpose of a documentary filmmaker
• Understanding documentary:
- Political propaganda, investigative essay, personal journal, cinema verité observation etc
• Visions and representations of ‘reality’;
- Truth, objectivity, subjectivity etc
• Investigation of a documentary film auteur’s body of work – understanding directorial choice in the creation of a non-fiction work with intellectual and artistic purpose, as supported by film viewings.
• Ethical, artistic and journalistic precepts and responsibilities:
- Research, double-sourcing, fact-checking etc
• Legal issues:
- Rights, releases, copyright etc
• Interview technique:
- Ethical and sensitive interview practise and subject relationship management etc